Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The D Word, or Diacetyl Beers

Many of our guests detest Diacetyl beers, or as some affectionately term them "butter beers". Some brewers and breweries seem unable to produce anything but such beers. They know who they are, and one such brewery does well in its Maine home. However, we are less a fan of butter flavors in our beers. It isn't a creaminess, it is that distinct melted butter that has separated and sat stove top for far too long. When it finds its home in an appropriate style, diacetyl qualities can be masked by other aspects of the beer. It can even make a pleasant appearance, in much the same way that forgotten pot of drawn butter can be a perfect compliment to steamers or boiled lobster. Hell, I'd probably pour some on my baked potato. But, on that potato I would probably regret it. The drawn butter would be thin, an oily mess in the making. I will stare at it and wonder why I hadn't just used a pat of creamy butter instead.

This week I tasted through several IPAs. And as I did the underlying Diacetyl qualities of several shone through.

Brooklyn, Blast.
A beautifully constructed double IPA, balanced at 8% with a rich mouthfeel and great set of hops. But, as it lingers on the palate there is a distinct diacetyl flavor. I assume that the Brewmaster knew this was present, that he wanted the butteriness to bridge the malt and hops. I like it, and while I wouldn't session these, I will admit it would probably work great with a steak topped with gorgonzola.

Smuttynose, The Big A
I can remember being a hop head and sessioning this beer. I have changed. I would like to think matured. I still love this brutal double IPA. Massive hops, a maltiness that warms you immediately (or is that the alcohol?). No butter to speak of, this beer is all about an assertion of citric acid. Dark chocolate or grapefruits (pink, ruby even) would be a fine snack. But really, I choose this beer to chew on hops.

Southern Tier, Gemini
Southern Tier Produces another fantastic high abv IPA. This double IPA delivers a lot of hops as well as an easy drinking beer with a staggering 10.5 abv. My experience with The Southern Tier lineup is just that, high gravity beers that drink like much lower alcohol beers. You have to look for the alcohol here, and while looking, you may find a slight butteriness that creeps in behind the malt and immediately before the smack of hops. That said, no complaints. A little butter on this beast does it no disservice.

Cheers,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment